Yes, we found breakfast at Kaffi Lóki, a short block away. So now I have had skyr (SKEER, but with your lips rounded more like for ‘ooo’), which is sort of something between sour cream and cream cheese, used kind of like yogurt, or eaten by itself with milk and sugar. And we had an open-faced sandwich of cheese on the BEST rye bread ever! And coffee. Note that we split everything but the coffee, and it still set us back almost $20. When they say Iceland is expensive, they mean it!
Then we walked around town some…I was looking for my yarn shop, which shows on its website that there are two locations, one in Mossfellsbær (MOSS-fed’ls-by-yer), which would be a bus adventure, and one right downtown. But that one only sells ready-made sweaters and other woolen items. I asked, and the clerk said (in perfectly American-sounding English) that the Icelandic Handknitting Association carried yarn. We had looked in on the way down the hill, but saw only clothing.
We continued our stroll, aiming for Tjörnin (CHORE-nin), The Pond, where we hoped to begin collecting Icelandic bird species. There were plenty of big gulls, some mallards, a couple of scaup, some swans, and several eiders. That’ll do for the first day!
We walked on down to the harbor, keeping an eye on some ominous clouds. When the wind off the bay got to be too much, we came back for a nap. Then back to Kaffi Lóki, for pönnkökkur (PONN-kah-kur—pancakes) filled with skyr and caramel sauce, and tea. Another $20. Then, determined to buy yarn without dragging myself out to the ‘burbs, we went back to the Handknitting store. The back room turned out to be full of the yarn I was looking for. AND it was dirt cheap! So, I now have the yarn for my sweater, though I think I’ll go back tomorrow and get another couple of skeins, since I won’t be able to replace it if I run out.
Then another nap. Then back down the street to “FISH! and more” for dinner. Lars had fish soup with toast, I got the “fish of the day”, with a choice of cod or “blue ling”. I’ve had cod, so I went with the blue ling. It was a lot like cod….steamed, with black pepper on top, and lots of veggie sides with interesting sauces. The sorts of veggies that grow here….carrots, potatoes, cabbage. It was pretty tasty.
We came back up the hill and wandered around Hallgrims Kirkja some more, and are now done for the day.
Sounds like you guys had a nice relaxing day. Well-deserved after a day on a long flight. Wow, $20.00 for a small meal split between 2 people - I think that would put me on a budget enforced diet :-) . At least you found your yarn supper cheap! Don't forget to post a picture of the sweater when you are done. And if you have any leftover you should crochet Widget a little sweater - I'm sure she would just llloovvvee to wear that! :-)
ReplyDeleteHave fun tomorrow/today, Erika
I can vouch that Iceland is expensive. When I was there, it was early December (or maybe late November). The flight to Minneapolis was -full- of people flying over just to do their Christmas shopping for a day or two and then home, because it was so much cheaper at the mall than in Iceland. Wow.
ReplyDeleteGail